Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Crafty Tuesday: Monogrammed J

I know this is a day late, but better late than never when trying to get this blog train running.  Last Saturday I made a trek out to JoAnn's to look around since hubby and baby were at church for the evening.  A little momma time?  I'm going to take full advantage of it!  I had a coupon for 20% off my total purchase, and figured I could go look around and see what was to be found.  Lo and behold I walked out with much more than I expected.  But when you save almost 50% total after sales a coupon, what's a girl to do?  So I decided to make a J to represent our family for near my front door.

Now, as can be told from the beginnings of this blog, I am a really great and gung ho starter, but finisher?  Now that's another story.  So I told myself I had to see this project through to completion before bed that night.  Clearly, I underestimated the amount of time it would take.  But I can proudly say I accomplished my goal, and my front door is all the happier for it.

The Beginnings
So I began with a large, almost cardboard, 3-dimensional J and began wrapping it with twine and the help of my trusty glue gun.  Make sure you attach a loop to the back of the top from the beginning to hang it from.  Doing that step first will ensure it is covered by the wrapped twine when the project is completed.

Completely Wrapped
As you can tell I did have to go in multiple directions to get it all the way covered around the edges.  Work as much as you can in one direction, and then cover it the other way.  I did make sure that I glued on the back or the inside edges so the hot glue would be covered in the completed piece.

The Completed Project
After my J was totally covered, I glued on scattered buttons to add dimension and make it a little more customized.

Front Door Beautified
And now the red door I always dreamed of having is customized especially for my little family.  I couldn't be happier with how this project turned out!!!   If you decide to make a monogram for your family, please link it up here.  I'd love to see how yours turns out!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this!! And am very tempted to give it a try... will definitely let you know if I do. Yours turned out beautiful, good job, mama!! I bet that took FOREVER wrapping that twine, and glueing it!!

    ReplyDelete